Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about AAC and the benefits it can offer.
The questions below, and in the side menu, have been put together based on our research. We are in the process of answering these questions and you will find many of the issues addressed across our website. We welcome any additional questions or suggestions for potential sources of information – please contact us.
Some FAQs cover general topics and some are specific to children or adults. Sometimes the answer to a question may vary, depending on the situation. You can also find many answers to your questions on other websites and factsheets, where we have found useful existing resources. We have provided various links to these across our website.
The questions are in no particular order of importance and address the following issues:
- What is augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) and what types of communication are there?
- How can AAC help with communication difficulties resulting from different medical conditions and in different therapies?
- How can AAC be used in education, employment and social situations?
- What support is required and what services and funding are available?
- What training is available?