You are here

Funding for Communication Aids


Some Health Authorities fund equipment for children, but funding is more likely to be provided by the Educational Authority. Some Educational Authorities have their own assessment services; some use regional assessment services (e.g. NHS AAC assessment services; the ACE centres in Oldham and Oxford; CALL Scotland in Edinburgh). All these services are knowledgeable about sources of funding. However, it can take a long time for money to be agreed and budgets are limited. Some families resort to buying equipment themselves, fundraising or appealing to charities.


For adults, the situation varies from area to area. Some Health Authorities, PCTs and social service departments have a budget but many adults have to buy equipment themselves, fundraise or borrow equipment from charity.

Trial and Assessment

Whatever the source of funding, it is important that the person who is going to use the equipment has the opportunity to try it before purchase. An assessment is essential to ensure that the system meets the AAC speaker's strengths, skills and needs and that they have the opportunity to consider all the options available.

Funding and Assessment Services

Funding and assessment services are organised differently in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Find out more >


Lifelites are a charity who provide IT and sensory equipment to children's hospices throughout the UK. Lifelites vision is to give
children and young people with life-limiting, life-threatening and disabling conditions the opportunity to benefit from the power of assistive and inclusive technologies to learn, to be creative, to communicate and to take control.

Other Funding Sources for Communication Aids

See also: