“I love the way that Makaton has enabled my son to develop his speech and make himself understood. It was like a light coming on when he very first used it and was understood. He is a lot more confident and loves to know that everyone understands him.”
Makaton is a language programme using signs and symbols to help people communicate. It is designed to support spoken language and the signs and symbols are used with speech in spoken word order. With Makaton, children and adults can communicate straight away which means that they can interact with others, be included in everyday life and fulfil their potential.
Our aim is to ensure that everyone living with learning and/or communication disabilities has the tools and resources they need to communicate.
The Makaton Charity:
- provides training to parents, carers, and professionals;
- develops and produces printed and electronic resources;
- works with others to make their information accessible;
- provides advice and support to families and professionals;
- works in partnership to influence society and empower people.
Through our national network of over 1,000 licensed Makaton tutors and trainers, over 30,000 parents, carers and professionals receive Makaton training each year. Our cascade approach enables us to share knowledge and offers a sustainable model for empowering others to improve communication for all.